This is one of the better documented gildhalls in Suffolk but it is not mentioned by Pevsner in his editions. However, James Bettley, in the latest revision of Pevsner (2015) says: "In the SE corner of the churchyard, the former Guildhall. Late C15, converted to almshouses at the Reformation, and two houses c.1962. Timber-framed and plastered, L-plan. Large internal chimneystacks, the brickwork of one left exposed by the 1960s conversion."

The gildhall was pictured in Westlake’s book
The Parish Gilds of Medieval England published in 1919 and a copy of the old photograph is shown below:
Stacks Image 13
The Gild of St Peter has been traced back to mentions in 1511 - 1546.

There was an article in the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archeology and History in 1903 (vol xi, pp 81 - 133 and 134 - 137) called
Gild of St Peter in Bardwell by F E Warren. Westlake refers to him as Canon Warren.

As can be seen from the more recent photograph below it is adjacent to the Churchyard. The other side of the house as shown in the old photograph is not publicly accessible.

The Grade II listing text from Historic England is available
here. It also refers to the gildhall at Hawstead.
Stacks Image 7
The extract(s) below are taken from one or more of the following articles in PSIAH (see the Sources page for details of how to access).

Morley, C., 1926, A check-list of the sacred buildings of Suffolk, to which are added Gilds. XIX Part 2, 168-211.

Redstone, V. B., 1904, Chapels, Chantries and Gilds in Suffolk. XII Part 1, 1-87. Has abstracts of 39 gild certificates, 18 in Bury (presumably the 1389 returns). Also details of Ipswich Corpus Christi gild.

Redstone, V. B., 1937. IV. Extracts from wills and other material, showing the history of Suffolk churches, chantries and guilds (Appendix to article published in Proceedings Vol XII). XXIII Part 1, 50-78.
Stacks Image 16
For information on buildings mentioned in the Pevsner guide to Suffolk in this location see